Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Happy Birthday, Nessa


This is me and my buddy, Nessa. She's super important today (along with everyday)! That's because it's her birthday! She's 23! We look sorta weird in that picture. It's because we were snowed into our dorm room back when we weren't 23. I think we were 21. But we're cool so instead of getting wasted like everyone else on campus, we put green face mask on, then put tea bags on our eyes and laid in the floor of our dorm room listening to creepy night sounds that were supposed to be relaxing (but weren't). So because she is awesome and 23 (like me now), I thought I'd make my post for today about some of our memories together!

When I first met Nessa, it was my third semester at Concord, and her first. Her roommate was one of my close friends and we immediately hit it off. That's because she was Baptist. Kelly (her roommate) introduced us and we shook hands. When Kelly and I left the room to go over to my room, I told her, "She's Baptist.". Kelly was baffled as to how I could possibly know that from our 2 minute meeting. She laughed at me when I told her it was because of her handshake. But later when we went to Walmart (where else do you go on the first night of the semester at CU?) with Nessa and some other friend, Kelly asked and sure enough, Baptist! Once we realized we had that in common, we found about a billion other things that we both loved. Including eating brownie's in batter form while wearing pajamas!

I can say with 100% assurance that Nessa and her friendship is what got me through my Sophomore year of college! I don't know what I would have done without her! We went through a lot of crazy things together! The first night that she went over to my dorm with me, she was wearing shorts. It was January. And snowing. I educated her on quite a few WV (she's a Florida native) things that mostly had to do with winter and what the guys with the orange stripes on their shirts jobs were! When we decided that taking a trip to Florida for spring break was the best idea ever, she educated me on the Floridian things that I needed to know! I still haven't managed to take that trip to her house in Florida with her, but I've spent plenty of time at her family home in the mountains of WV! Her family is kinda like my family and vice versa!

One more memory and I promise, I'll stop! When Nessa and I got stressed out, we did one of two things: A) went to the dock at Pipestem and laid in the sun or B) drove wherever the road took us. One day in April was a driving kind of day and the road took us to Bristol. We turned on the music (old school country, if you care) and sang and laughed all the way there. When we got there we had no idea where we were going or what our plan was, but we found an adorable little restaurant with decent (but pricey) burgers and ate there after wondering the charming streets of Bristol for a while. We drove back to school in the dark and hoped to goodness that we didn't get lost on the way! It was a super fun night even if it did almost break the bank!

So all of this was just to say,

Me and Nessa on the plane to Florida for Spring Break!

(I had to throw this one with the three of us in! Me, Nessa, and Dana
on the day of our college graduation!)

Happy Birthday, Nessa!
I love you and am so glad that you are a part of my life!
Love, Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment